So many people take their loved ones for granted. They forget to show them how much they care, and don’t do the little things that would make them happy. It’s not always easy to give your loved ones appreciation or attention- after all, you’re busy too! But it doesn’t have to be hard at all.
There are plenty of ways you can let your friends and family know you love them, without needing a lot of time or money. Here are 99 simple ways to make your loved ones feel appreciated and happy:
1. Let them watch their favorite show on TV.
2. Ask about school/work/life in general and really listen to what they say. Make eye contact- it makes the conversation more personal and heartfelt.
3. Let them have a sleepover with all their friends at your house after a slumber party that you planned for them! Better yet, join in!
4. Give them a hug when they’re feeling down to let them know you’re always there for support.
5. Surprise them with their favorite meal for dinner when they come home from a long day at work or school, even if it’s takeout!
6. Bake cookies or another treat and leave it in their lunchbox or briefcase to make their day a little sweeter. If you’re not very confident in your baking skills, just draw a smiley face on a piece of paper and slip it into their lunch bag or put it in front of their computer screen before going to work/school .
7. Take them out for a drive in the countryside- go somewhere quiet so you can listen to music together and enjoy each other’s company while admiring the views.
8. Let them borrow your new CD, book, video game, or whatever it is they’re into at the moment.
9. Write a heartfelt letter expressing your love for them and why they mean so much to you.
10. Draw them a picture or write them a poem.
11. Pay for their movie tickets, ice cream, or another small treat that they really want.
12. Help them out with chores around the house- this one definitely doesn’t require any money, but it will make them happy knowing you’re pitching in to help!
13. Let them choose the movie to watch on TV/Netflix/Hulu etc., and then actually sit down and watch it with them (even if you don’t like the movie).
14. Tell them you’re proud of their accomplishments, even if they seem small to you (e.g., getting an A on a test).
15. Listen to what they have to say- sometimes the little things mean the most.
16. Let them spend time with your friends or family members like your parents or siblings who aren’t as close with them as you are. Or maybe invite all their friends over for a party!
17. Volunteer together at a homeless shelter, animal shelter, nursing home etc.- this is something that will make both of you feel really good about yourselves and know that there are people out there who appreciate your efforts!
18. Have lunch/dinner with their favorite person in your life- their best friend, a close cousin, parent etc.
19. Let them pick a flower from your garden and put it in a vase for them to admire when they come home from work/school or just when you see them during the day.
20. Go to their favorite restaurant for lunch/dinner, even if it’s not your favorite place!
21. Bring them coffee in bed in the morning- make sure they know how important they are to you by going out of your way for this one!
22. Surprise them with a handwritten card or letter telling them why you love and appreciate them so much- no matter what time of year it is!
23. Cook dinner together- this may take longer than expected, but it will be worth it in the end!
24. Let them choose where you eat out for dinner that night- this is much easier than cooking together and just as loving!
25. Make them their favorite dessert just because you love them so much!
26. Give them a big hug when you see them- it’s the best way to show your love!
27. Take them on a walk around their favorite park or go for a hike in the woods.
28. Buy them tickets to see their favorite musician, comedian, or other performer live in concert!
29. Give them a handmade gift- this could be anything from a knitted scarf to a picture you drew yourself!
30. Send them an email telling them how much you love and appreciate them- it’ll make their day for sure!
31. Put together a photo album of all your favorite memories together- this is something they can look back on and cherish for years to come!
32. Help them out with a problem they’re having, even if it’s not related to you at all!
33. Let them borrow your car for the day so they can go do whatever they want without having to worry about parking or bus fares!
34. Take them shopping for their favorite things, even if you don’t really like shopping- just knowing that they’re happy is what you’re looking for here!
35. Eat breakfast in bed with them, or bring them their favorite coffee in the morning when they wake up!
36. Don’t complain about your problems and let them know how grateful you are to have someone like them in your life who makes everything better.
37. Give them a foot rub/back massage after a long day of work, school etc.- it’ll make things really easy for them and will put a smile on their face at the same time!
38. Let them pick out something nice for you to wear (e.g., new pair of shoes) when you go out together.
39. Take a day out of your busy schedule and dedicate it to them- make sure they know how much you love and appreciate them by spending all day together!
40. When everything’s been said and done, just sit down next to them for a few minutes and have a nice long talk.
41. If you’re feeling extra loving that day, cook dinner for the both of you or surprise them with takeout because cooking can be very time consuming.
42. Offer to babysit their kids so they can go on a date night with their significant other/spouse- this’ll mean a lot to them since they’ll feel like you trust their children enough to leave them in your care!
43. Set aside some time during the day to spend with them one-on-one so they know how much you appreciate them!
44. If you see something you know they’ll like, pick it up for them without asking- this is sure to make anyone feel loved!
45. Write down your thoughts about why your loved one means the world to you and then give the paper to them as a gift! This way, it’s more personalized than just saying it out loud.
46. Plan a weekend getaway for the two of you, even if it’s just to a nearby town- getting away from all the distractions will do you both some good!
47. Make them breakfast in bed on a special day like their birthday or anniversary!
48. Let them know that you’re always there for them when they need you, no matter what time of day or night it is.
49. Compliment them on something they’re insecure about- even if it’s something as small as their hair, clothes, etc.
50. Give them a big smile and say hello every time you see them, no matter how busy you are!
51. Help out with a chore they’ve been struggling to do for a while now- this is a great way to show how much you care!
52. Go on a picnic together and spend some quality time in the great outdoors!
53. When your loved one shares something exciting with you, be happy for them no matter what it is.
54. Make sure they never have to worry about anything because everything’s going to work out just fine, no matter what happens!
55. Listen closely when they’re sharing their dreams and goals with you- not only will your support mean a lot to them, but it’ll also help give you new ideas of things they might like or want in life!
56. Give them a hug for no reason whatsoever and just let them know that you love them!
57. Send them an internet meme that’s relevant to their current mood or situation- it’ll make them laugh and you’ll be the one who made it happen!
58. If they’re going through a tough time, offer to listen (and don’t judge) because that’s what they need the most right now.
59. Let them know how proud of them you are, even if it’s something as simple as doing well in school or work!
60. Take care of them when they’re not feeling well by cooking their favorite food, buying them some get-well soon cards/flowers etc.
61. Give them a little nudge when they’re feeling down about something- all it takes is one positive push to get them motivated again!
62. Surprise them with their favorite food after a long day of work/school, etc.
63. If your loved one needs you during the night, be there for them right away- nothing can make a person feel more loved than knowing that someone will always come to help no matter what time of day it is or how late it is!
64. Make sure they know that you’ll never let anything bad happen to them and that you love them more than anything else in this world!
65. Let your loved ones vent out their frustrations with life without interrupting every few seconds with useless distractions.
66. Tell your loved ones that you’re always available whenever they want to talk- trust me, this is more than just words!
67. Always tell them the truth, even if it might hurt for a little while because long term happiness is better than short term satisfaction!
68. Sometimes, the greatest gifts you can give to people are your time and presence!
69. If they need someone to talk to who won’t judge them for anything, be that person- your words might make all the difference in their world because sometimes there’s no better advice than coming from someone who truly cares about them!
70. Let your loved ones know how beautiful/handsome they are without makeup on or with their hair greasy- you’re one of the few people who gets to see them like this!
71. When your loved one is having a bad day, try to cheer them up by bringing good memories from the past into the present!
72. Create an adventure for your loved ones- whether it’s going somewhere new or hiking up a local mountain together, experiences are always better than material things!
73. Let them know that no matter what happens with you guys in the future, they’ll always have a special place in your heart and vice versa!
74. If you’re going away for a while and won’t be able to talk regularly with someone close to you, remember this: A simple text message saying “thinking of you” can brighten anyone’s day out of nowhere!
75. Remember their favorite candy/flowers/color, etc. and buy it for them without any special occasion needed!
76. Help out with chores without being asked- this will show that you’re always willing to lend a helping hand!
77. If they have a project they’ve been working on for a while, be their biggest cheerleader and tell them how proud of them you are even if the outcome might not be perfect!
78. Give them a few minutes of your time every day to just chat about their day- it’ll make both of you feel more connected!
79. If they’re into a hobby or activity, be interested in it too and ask lots of questions- this way you can learn more about them and show that you really do care!
80. Compliment them on their strengths and be genuine about it- nobody likes fake compliments!
81. Ask them what their favorite thing to do is and then do it with them- whether it’s going out to eat or just taking a walk around the neighborhood, doing things together always brings happiness!
82. Let your loved ones borrow any of your clothes/accessories without complaining- they’ll appreciate being able to get a little closer to your style!
83. Draw/write a heartfelt message for them on a piece of paper or in a journal- the best things are often said from the heart!
84. If they’re into fitness, try to be fit alongside them or at least support their efforts even if you don’t really care about working out yourself- this will show that you’re both in it together!
85. Give them a big hug and tell them how much you love and appreciate them- sometimes the simplest things mean the most!
86. Let your loved ones know that no matter what mood they’re in, you’ll always love and accept them for who they are!
87. Offer to do something for them without expecting anything in return- this could be anything from making them breakfast in bed to taking the dog for a walk!
88. Reminisce about the good times you’ve spent together- you’ll both end up smiling!
89. Always listen to your loved one’s opinion/idea, even if it’s not what you were expecting or hoping for!
90. If they’re stressed out about something, try to help them by brainstorming ideas on how to solve their problem- this will show that you’d do anything for them and want to support them in any way possible!
91. Just be there when they need a shoulder to cry on- sometimes all they need is someone who has nothing but unconditional love for them!
92. Try not to get into unnecessary arguments with your loved ones- instead of, try coming up with a solution to the problem at hand!
93. Let them know that you’re always available for a conversation, no matter what time of the day it is- they’ll really appreciate this!
94. Make them a photobook or album filled with memories of your time spent together- this will be something they can look back on and cherish forever!
95. If they’re sad and don’t want to talk about it, try helping them solve their problem silently while giving lots of hugs- this might make them smile without you having to say a word!
96. Make time for your loved ones no matter how busy you are- never underestimate the power of quality time!
97. When they tell you something that’s bothering them, remember every little detail and talk about it at a later date- this will show that you care enough to listen and won’t take what they said for granted!
98. The next time someone asks you how your significant other/partner is doing, say “they’re great” and leave it at that instead of going on and on about all the amazing things they’ve done- this will make your loved one feel special and appreciated!
99. Love them for who they are, not for who you want them to be- this is the most important thing of all!
These are just a few simple ways on how to make your loved ones feel appreciated and happy. By following even just a few of these tips, you’ll be able to strengthen your relationship and bring more joy into both of your lives. So what are you waiting for? Go show some love! 🙂